A maternity shoot is an exciting photo session. It is meant to celebrate moms-to-be and their glamour, instead of putting all of the focus on the baby. As such, it’s important that you have an idea of what might be great to bring along (and what to leave behind) so that we can make you look your best.
Absolutely consider bringing…:
- Flowing dresses that can be gathered to show off your figure – pair with high heels if you want to go glam or go barefoot if you want a more ‘earthy’ look
- Tops that are a solid colour and logo-free
- A selection of tops – something white, something dark (doesn’t have to be black – could be navy or dark brown), and a couple of shirts in colours that look really great on you
- One dark and one white tank top or bandeau
- Black and nude/white bra
- Props related to your baby – booties, letter blocks, any other items of sentimental value that you might like in the photos
- Pants that are comfortable, not too tight around your belly, medium-coloured (denim is great) and can be folded or lowered out of the frame
You might want to think twice about wearing…:
- Snug-fitting socks, pants or undergarments an hour before the shoot, so that you can minimise any lines that might appear on your skin
- Clothes that have patterns (particularly stripes or checks) or visible logos. These can distract the eye from what’s most important about the photo. However, if you’re wearing a dress or blouse that has patterns, go for it!
“But what should my husband/boyfriend/partner wear?”
Keep it simple. Jeans, a black shirt and a white shirt will be great. He can bring a button-up shirt if he really wants to, but it’s not required. Think about what fits your style as a couple and dress accordingly.
With all of that being said, I will work with whatever you bring. Don’t have something I’ve listed? Not a problem! Don’t go buy it. Have something that you really want to wear? Bring it along!